Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pallet shelf

Well, of course I’m using pallets, again. I collected a bunch a couple of years ago and need to use them up before I can pick up more! (Good thing I don’t have a hubby to gripe about my pallet hoarding problem.) HA!

 

You see ALL the time on Pinterest about how people take this old dirty ugly pallet and turn it into a shelf or art or something.  Well, I thought I would give it a try. Mostly because I needed to make room in my cabinets for other stuff and my mugs really didn’t need to take up the WHOLE cabinet, but partly because I wanted to see if it really was just that easy.

 

It IS just that easy, actually.   It’s all about knowing where to cut the pallet.  

 


Once you get it cut down, then it’s just a matter of sanding everything THOROUGHLY, then applying your paint of choice. 


Here’s what it looked like after I lightly spray painted it with some white.  It was a light coat because the paint can keptclogging and eventually just stopped entirely. After messing with it for a while, I just gave up and decided I liked it well enough.

 


Then, my tall tumblers didn’t really fit down into the space between the slats, so I just took some other leftover wood from the pallet wall I did, (I should write that up, also, eh?) and added the red accent shelves with my Ryobi Brad Nailer.  


Lastly, I screwed mug hooks into the wood, and called it done.

 


Of course, the hanging it part was pretty tricky.  I wound upusing my stud finder (wonder what would happen if I walked around Home Depot checking all guys with it) to locate the studs in the wall above my coffee bar, and then screwed it into the wall.  Remarkably, it is still hanging 24-hours later.

 

Total Cost: Mug hooks - $4.00

Total Time: About an hour, mostly for paint drying

Outcome: SUCCESS!!

No go Make-Do something of your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment